Saturday, January 24, 2015

Making Brownies=Learning Fractions

I created this fractions task for my students to work on their operations with fractions. What I like best about this style of task is how it encourages students to first list the information they will need to answer the questions. First having students brainstorm what they will need to formulate their answers gives them the opportunity to discuss the concepts and open their minds so they go looking for the info they need, rather than trying to figure out what to do with info that is presented to them.

My aim was to create a task that was both engaging and rigorous - two buzz words floating around my school right now. With feedback from our vice principal and math coach, I put this together and am excited to have the kids work on it next week. I'll let you know how it goes!

Bonus: the brownies were delicious!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment