Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Infant "Readers"

Ok, so we all know infants can't "read," at least not the definition of reading that we all accept as educators and parents. However, the beginning of teaching a child to read begins from the time the baby comes home from the hospital. Reading aloud begins with speaking. So it goes to follow, logically, that the better a "speaker" your child becomes, the better reader may develop. And teaching your child speech begins from the moment he/she is born.

My son, Frankie, is now 3 years and 1 month old. He is talking up a storm and really expressing his thoughts, feelings, needs, wants and observations clearly. I feel very confident about his speech abilities. However, this was not always the case. Until very recently, my husband and I were very concerned about Frankie's speech. He received Early Intervention services starting when he was 2 years and 4 months. We sent him to a Montessori School 2 mornings a week after he turned 2 so that he could begin conversing with other kids and adults who didn't know all of his signals and sound effects. It didn't even seem that any of that was working. Then all of a sudden, he began talking regularly without much prompting. His speech exploded in just a few weeks. And now, I have no concerns in that area at all.

I believe that my son's speech development began the moment he was born. So let's begin there. It's as simple as talking to your child.

Strategy #1 - Talk to your child
It really is that simple. To begin teaching your child to read, start when he/she is first born. Talk to your child as much and as often as possible. The more words spoken to your child, the more words she will begin to understand. It works as a domino effect and begins here, with this simple task. Now, please don't stress yourself out by reciting the Gettysburg Address on a nightly basis. Simply have "conversations" with your baby. While feeding him, dressing him, holding and cuddling, driving in the car, simply talk to him. It truly can be about anything because until several months old, he doesn't understand what you are saying - although I would recommend leaving angry tones or frustrating topics off the list. Babies can sense tension and when you're speaking about a topic that frustrates you, your baby will inevitably pick up on that.

I used to tell my son funny stories about his dad and me, my parents and siblings. If I ran out of ideas, I often read aloud from a novel or magazine. Hearing your voice speaking words helps your child learn and repeat speech. The more words spoken, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment