Sunday, January 8, 2012

Classroom Management

Hey Everyone - Happy Monday!

So I hate Mondays. HATE Mondays. I have the hardest time getting out of bed on a Monday morning, no matter what time I go to bed on Sunday night. I feel like I need to get one more thing in. Last night, for example, I put my two cherubs to bed and got to work labeling all the bins in the toy closet. Some scrapbook paper, self-adhesive letters, some modge podge and voila! A very organized toy closet. Photos to come!

I thought I would also squeeze in a blog post about my classroom management system. I got the idea from a professor in my Master's program at American International College. He is also a 4th grade teacher and uses these as a positive reinforcement tool. I use them a bit differently and they can be adapted to any classroom. I call these bills "Fornero Dinero." Whenever I catch a student doing something right - sitting or reading quietly, getting ready, working efficiently, lining up quietly, etc. I simply slip one in their hand. I don't draw attention to it - but it certainly garners attention. It catches on so quickly!

One time, the students were lining up to go to Music and they were very loud in line. I looked around for one student standing quietly and patiently. I spotted her and handed her a Fornero Dinero. As soon as I did - like a ripple effect, each student began quieting down. I never had to raise my voice or even speak. And without words, they all got in a straight, quiet line and we headed to Music.

How Does It Work?

Once a week we do a "drawing." I usually do it on Friday afternoons, right before Fun Friday (choice) time. As students collect Fornero Dinero throughout the week, they write their names on the back. On Fridays, I collect them back and put them all in a bin and draw one or two and the winner gets a prize.

My prizes are: a homework pass, choose an item from the "treasure chest," lunch with the teacher, or teacher for a day (student teaches a lesson).

I also use this opportunity to teach about probability - reminding them that the more Fornero Dinero they put into the drawing, their chances of winning are much better. Before each drawing, I randomly pick a student and ask how many bills he or she entered into the drawing, then I tell the class how many are in the bin then ask what is the probability of this student winning?

Then we put it up on the board - 8 out of 40 = 1/5 or 20% chance of winning. I do this for each student and find out who has the best chance of winning.


I got the idea from the professor I mentioned before - his last name was Bateman so he called the bills "Bateman Bucks." Find a name for money that rhymes or has alliteration with your name and it makes it more fun!

Not legal tender!

No comments:

Post a Comment